It is the biggest party of the summer and SummerSlam is live this Sunday! There has been a lot of build up for this event, for 2 weeks in a row I thought SummerSlam had more build up than WrestleMania. In my opinion there are 2 main events going into this show Stephanie McMahon vs. Brie Bella and John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. Another match that has gotten a lot of promotion is AJ Lee vs. Paige. Those are the 3 matches I am most looking forward to watching Sunday. On paper and with the promotion the past few weeks this SummerSlam has potential to be a great event. The last SummerSlam that stands out as a great event is 2002, that is the standard I set all SummerSlam events against. Can 2014 come close to 2002? Let’s take a look at my predictions in the order I think they will happen on Sunday. As of this writing, there is no preshow match scheduled which I’m kind of surprised about.
WWE Intercontinental Championship
(c) The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler
– In my opinion this is the match to watch on Sunday. Why? I think this match can impact WWE for months. I will get into my prediction for the main event later on, but I believe Brock Lesnar will walk out Sunday at the new WWE WHC. Brock works a very limited schedule so we will kind of throwback time to the early days when the champion wasn’t always the main attraction. So that means the mid carders will be stepping up. If I am the WWE and need someone to sell the midcard talent to the audience, I am going with Dolph Ziggler. I would like for Dolph Ziggler to face Sheamus at Night of Champions in September to unify the 2 titles together. Whether that happens or not will be seen. So Sunday I am going with the man that can sell the WWE better than anyone else and that is Dolph Ziggler walking out as WWE Intercontinental Champion.
Jack Swagger vs. Rusev
– A few weeks back I spoke in a previous article that I think that Kurt Angle needs to come back to WWE. If Kurt does return I would currently book Rusev to continue to be dominant against everyone the WWE throws at him until Kurt Angle returns. Let Kurt return and become the “American Hero” once again. If for any reason Kurt doesn’t return then there is always other options to defeat Rusev. I think that is the best plan. So Sunday I would let Rusev continue to CRUSH as Lana would say. BTW on Sunday can Lana get her own solo entrance again?! I want her to look smokin’ for SummerSlam!
Chris Jericho vs. Bray Wyatt
– I’m really not sure what to expect with this match. These two men have showed they can go toe-to-toe promo wise, but can they do the same when it comes match time? Both Erick Rowan and Luke Harper are banned from ringside in this match. I’m not sure how long Chris Jericho is back, but something tells me it is very short. So if this is possible I say that since Jericho won at Battleground last month that Bray Wyatt wins this Sunday. Then at Night of Champions we see the ‘rubber match’ in the series. Maybe have a stipulation for NOC.
Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins
– I really don’t care for the lumberjack stipulation, I was hoping for NO DQ or something like that. I still expect these two men to go crazy on one another since we have had over 2 months of build up for a one on one match. Only because Rollins is Mr MITB I will give him the nod to win the match on Sunday.
WWE Divas Championship
(c) AJ Lee vs. Paige
– Surprisingly enough the WWE has had a good amount of divas storylines lately. Who would’ve thought? Since AJ has returned we have seen the best side of Paige. This story has escalated exactly how I wanted it to go. Will Paige become a 2 time Divas Champion this Sunday? I really am not sure who to call, because of that I have a feeling AJ or Paige my win by DQ or something leading to a rematch at Night of Champions. If we do have a legit winner on Sunday I am going with AJ to retain.
Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
– I am really surprised this is the match we are getting, considering all of the Roman Reigns vs. Triple H rumors. I would’ve rather seen that match at SummerSlam compared to any other event this year. Unless it gets saved for WrestleMania but that is a long time off. I’ve read that the matches between these two men at house shows the past few weeks haven’t been good. If that is the case I hope it doesn’t last long. Both men are talented but do have their limitations in the ring, Randy is the veteran and needs to help carry Reigns as best he can in the match. A stipulation to this match probably would help. I say Roman Reigns wins just to continue his feud with The Authority.
Brie Bella vs. Stephanie McMahon
– In a way I think this is the true main event of SummerSlam, this match has been so hyped up on programming for a few months. I really have to say I don’t think this is a one time thing for these women. The way the segment ended this past Monday I just have a feeling this will go on for some time. I’m predicting, like many, that Nikki Bella will turn on Brie and side with The Authority. This can lead to a one on one match between Nikki & Brie or could lead to a 2 on 1 match with Nikki & Steph vs. Brie or a tag match. The list can go on and on to continue Brie vs. Stephanie. Potentially leading to Triple H & Stephanie vs. Brie & Daniel Bryan if they wanted to go down that route when Daniel Bryan returns. In the end I see Stephanie walking out victorious on Sunday.
WWE World Heavyweight Championship
(c) John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar
– These two men have a storied past dating back to 2003. John Cena really got his first main event push when he fought Brock Lesnar at Backlash 2003 which wasn’t a bad storyline when John Cena was going through his Doctor of Thuganomics gimmick. Flash forward almost a decade later when Brock Lesnar returned to the WWE we picked back up with Brock vs. Cena. The two men gave a great match at Extreme Rules 2012 but it was just a match. Now in 2014 Brock Lesnar is more hated with the fans than ever before because he defeated The Undertaker’s streak at WrestleMania. To me Brock Lesnar walking out Sunday at WWE Champion has to happen. If John Cena defeats Brock Lesnar how does that make Brock look? He can defeat the deadman but not Cena? Granted, there can always be other factors in the match that can cause a win or lose, but if it is a clean match Brock Lesnar MUST win. I almost want to put money on this match lol. ALMOST. As I mentioned earlier with Dolph Ziggler and The Miz, the WWE could have an interesting situation here with young talent needing to step up without the WWE Champion being on TV each week. I’ve heard Jim Ross say he believes Brock should be champion until WrestleMania. I’m not sure I would go that far but he should at least be champion until Survivor Series.